Thursday, September 29, 2016

B-52s review

http://3dotmag.com/review-b-52s-oh-i-love-ethiopian-food/
REVIEW B-52s. Oh, I love Ethiopian food
Oh, I love Ethiopian food!” were the five words directed at me from the one and only Fred Schneider, co-founder of infamous new wave party rockers, B-52s.
I was working my day job in the kitchen at local health food store, Bay Naturals, and we were closing up. I noticed a group of four men talking to a fellow employee, politely being thrown out due to the fact we had already closed. They were asking about other healthy eating options around town so I interjected to help. I then looked up in shock to see that I was talking to the male portion of the B-52s! I told them how to get to a restaurant, and politely sent them on their way. Then I said to myself, “Wait! I could have just re-opened the kitchen! After all, it is the B-freaking-52s!” But they were long gone. Not only that, I realized I sent them to a place that was a good 20 miles away from the venue they were playing, and it was only about two hours before show time. Duh!
I got off work soon after and headed to the show, while kicking myself for not engaging more and thinking: I should have pitched him my television show idea, ‘Hangin’ With Fred.’ I should have asked them to hang out after the show. I should have cooked them food, etc. Even though I was too star-struck to converse, I was still very happy to see the show.
I arrived at the House of Blues and there was already a good crowd there. Minutes later the opening band, IAMDYNAMITE, a power pop two-piece from Cary, North Carolina (originally from Detroit) took the stage. They were surprisingly heavy for a two-piece, but catchy and quirky enough to feel at home playing with the B-52s. IAMDYNAMITE is definitely enjoying some success, having done tours with Bush and Blue October, but this seemed to be a better setting for them. Their style seemed to teeter between 90s alt rock and blues influenced garage rock, but more amped up, ending up like The Pixies and The White Stripes doing blow together. They put on a rather explosive show full of audience participation (mid song handclap breakdowns and sing-alongs). They definitely got the audience warmed up.
Between bands, I’m noticing that B-52s are now 10 minutes late. I’m instantly reminded that I sent them to a place to eat that usually takes about 2 hours and was 20 miles away. So I’m thinking I made them late for the show. Great! Ten minutes later they rushed the stage and jumped straight into “Wig,” Schneider yelping, “What’s that on your head!” Instantly the place turned into a light-hearted party and everyone there synced into dance mode. Everyone on stage was armed with bright colors and glitter. They kept the theme with their early material and Schneider took a step back and the girls took the lead with “Mesopotamia” and “Give Me Back My Man,” and both Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson shined.
As Schneider returned to the stage they made some hilarious banter making fun of Myrtle Beach, commenting on all the beach wear stores and their love of taffy. They then went into the title track of their newest album, “Funplex,” where there is a shout along chorus of “Too much sex!” At this point, the constant party that seemed to be happening on stage was just near anarchy. They went on to do a few more new songs before performing hits like “Roam” and “52 Girls.” Of course, the crowd loved the hits but the impressive thing about the B-52s is that their new material is just as powerful as their early material. They had a stirring ending with a rambunctious version of “Love Shack.” A near perfect encore, “Planet Claire” and “Rock Lobster” ended the night.
B-52s still have it. And, they aren’t just a nostalgia act. Having new hip bands like IAMDYNAMITE open, and having new material that doesn’t scream “it’s time to go get a drink” proves them to be a thriving and notable band, and they are doing a great job at keeping the party going, and show no signs of slowing “down, dowwwn, dowwwn.”
Written by Michael Wood | Photography by Scott Smallin.

No comments:

Post a Comment